Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Just Hiked the Y...

...and I don't have any pictures to show for it :( Somehow the camera was left, and we didn't realize it until we were at the top! Kristie called me and wanted to know if I wanted to go hiking today. It was perfect today, overcast, a little breezy, perfect. And she is due on Friday, and our house is going to be done in one week, so it felt very appropriate to go on a hike. And I don't have any pictures. That is okay, we talked about all sorts of things, James was in his carrier, and Lady was well behaved. It reminded me of this post last year. Then I found it quite appropriate that Kristie should be hiking the Y right before she delivers Lilah, just as I had last year with James. Maybe it will work for her too and that baby will just slip on out. Hopefully.

I've been feeling very nostalgic these last few days. I never thought that I would want to stay in Provo, but now with time quickly approaching that we'll be leaving, I don't want to go. I won't be able to just go hiking with Kristie anytime she calls because we'll be over an hour away. It just gets to me. I voiced my feelings last night to Nathan on his way home, and though he likes it in Provo too, and wants to make me happy, a shorter commute is what he needs to keep a sane mind for the moment. So to take advantage of our time here, we went to the Bean Life Science Museum at BYU. Awesome place, they've redone a lot since the last time I was there. And it turns out James is now afraid of things with large mouths or something. Either way when we held him up to see the HUGE Kodiak bear they have, he screamed. So we did it again (because we were curious if he was scared or just screaming, and we needed a picture)
and then he screamed AND whimpered. Looking at the picture, I'd scream too. What were we thinking? Afterwards he clung to Nathan, he was okay looking at the smaller bears behind the glass (and they were Grizzlies!).

He was also scared of the lions and the leopard. Something about the big mouths and teeth. We felt bad, and it was so light out still, so we went over to the Creamery on Ninth, waited in the ridiculously long line, and ordered a scoop of peanut butter trails ice cream.


Loved it! James loved it too. I think he forgave us for holding him up to multiple animals to see if he was scared. Ice cream=no hard feelings :)
And that is just a smidgeon of the reasons why I will miss Provo.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Good, live it up your last weeks here! Sometimes I forget all of the fun available to us, though we do try to take advantage of it on Saturdays and go up the canyon, visit BYU, etc... and you guys can totally do Saturday trips to Provo even once you're living further north! It's always hard to move though... especially if you are the kind of person who has a hard time even rearranging bedroom furniture because you don't like change. ;-) If you and James want to visit sometime before you leave, we'd love to see you! If you are swamped with things to do though, we completely understand...

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

I agree change isn't always easy. There are still certain things I miss about Boise.
I love the 9 mo. pictures you got of James. They are adorable!