Friday, June 27, 2008

Provo Triathlon

The triathlon was a blast!! Here are some pictures before the race:
Our numbers on our arms the day before.

Trying on swim caps and goggles, do we look like aliens?

Pictures before the race:
Nathan getting ready at the transition area

Nikki Perkins and I before the race began, we've been friends since freshmen year, and we found out we were both doing the race!

So Nathan ran the Olympic distance, and I ran the Sprint distance. That equates to the race being .5 miles of swimming, 13 miles biking, and a 5k run, in that order for the sprint distance. Double that distance for the Olympic distance and that is what we did. So for the swim part I opted not to rent a wet suit, and Nathan already had one, and the lesson learned was: get a wet suit! It wasn't for the water temp, which was pretty nice on Utah lake, but the buoyancy factor. First the water had zero visibility, and I hated that, so I didn't put my head face down for the proper technique which kept making my feet sink, and I freaked out. That is apparently pretty common in the swim. Luckily I wasn't the only one though, so I didn't feel too bad, but the swim took me forever. Nathan though did absolutely awesome in the swim, and finished 2nd in his age group for that portion. Next came the bike ride, where we both did well, and I made up some time there. Our transition times between both were excellent. Finally there was the run. Now this was my weakest part, or so I thought until that day. Apparently, I've just had a mental block, because I ran the best I've ever run, and after swimming and biking! So I made up more time, and ended in the top twenty in my age division. The run is usually one of Nathan's strong points, and he is always a lot faster than I am, but this race didn't turn out so well. He didn't run as well as he'd liked, but finished 6th in his age group. The best part was that my Mom and little sister Kirstin were able to be there, cheering us on all parts! It was so neat having them there, and we loved it! Another neat thing was my friend from freshmen year, Nikki Perkins, was also in the race, and we found out about two weeks before, so we were able to do a little training together before the big day. Overall, a huge success, and I can't wait for the next one!

Nathan running

After finishing our first triathlon!

8 comments:

Bingham Fam said...

Hey Kendra,
Congrats! I had a few friends that also did the Triathlon, they loved it. Josh wants to do one at the end of summer. Are you going to do the one up at Park City too? Anyways, just wanted so say hi and congrats.

Kate said...

that sounds like a blast! good for you guys! i am way too lazy to do things like that. :)

Karissa said...

Wow! I'm super impressed by you two- that's amazing! Congratulations on doing so well!

Danny & Branae Porter said...

Wow! That's awesome that you guys did that! sounds like you're sure having a fun and exciting summmer! way to go on the triathlon that's awesome!!

Jonathan said...

Great job, guys! I've ran two triathlons...after the first I thought I was going to die and swore I would never run another, but then I was persuaded to do another one the next year...I did pretty well (fifth place), but I definitely won't do another. It looks like you guys have fun, though :)

Kate said...

i love the swim caps and goggles picture... LOL! i'm so sorry to hear about the shower invite! darn usps... we mailed those the first week of june! i bet seeing our picture in half was quite the sight. :) anyway, i wish you could have come, but we'll get together another time!

Tiffeny said...

You guys are amazing!

Tyler and Alesha said...

Gotta love that egg beater coming down the stretch, I'm really proud of you guys! Let's keep running the Legacy Trail until we can make it to Payson! -Tai Le