Monday, June 9, 2008

Anatomy can be intense!

Functional Anatomy is the last class that I have to take before I get my diploma from BYU. It has turned out to be one of my favorite classes ever, though the time and brainpower needed for the class is intense. I am glad that this is my only class (besides tennis) for Spring Term. Below are just a few things we are learning about. Today though was the most interesting day yet....

The muscles of the anterior forearm



The brachial plexus.

Yes, yes, everyone is thinking that those pictures are cool, but why was today the most interesting day yet? Today was the day that the girl I was standing next to in the cadaver lab looked at me, said "I don't feel so good", and then completely fainted!! No joke! I saw that she was going down, so I caught her, but hey, pretty much everyone is bigger than I am so I couldn't hold her up so I slumped to the floor and caught her head and body so she didn't smack her head against the floor, or worse, fall face first into the cadaver's abdominal cavity that we were all intensely studying. That would have been THE grossest thing I've ever witnessed if that had happened, but luckily it didn't!!! She was out for 30 seconds, which is actually a long time. I grabbed my friends coat to put under her head, got out from under her, and took off my disgusting cadaver gloves that I had caught her with. When she came to, we took her back to the regular classroom, got her some fruit snacks, and found that she hadn't had breakfast this morning, had locked her knees, and the smell of formaldehyde just gets to people under those circumstances. Anyway, it was pretty exciting, and I was so glad that I was paying attention, or she really could have gotten hurt. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I go back to lab, hopefully this is as exciting as it gets for the rest of the semester!

1 comments:

Kristie lee said...

Crazy stuff! Seriously way to memorize the million..thousand...hundred...and one terms in that class!