Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Nursing and Needles

So, what a week for me! On Wednesday the 24th I took the NCLEX (the state board exam that licenses nurses), and man was that stressful. The test gives you a maximum of five hours, and a minimum of 85 questions to a max of 205. It is an adaptive test, so the more questions that you get right, the harder it gets, and it shows your competency. If you are on the border of competent, it keeps giving you questions. If you show competency at 85 questions, then your test automatically shuts off. However, if you got so many wrong that there would be no showing competency no matter how many questions it gave you, it also shuts off at 85 questions. Well, my test shut off at 85, and I felt pretty good about it, but I was still worried. I shouldn't have been because then two days later I found myself listed online as licensed, and I received my actual license the day after! YEAH!! I passed and now I'm a licensed practical nurse in Utah!!! The place probably fingerprinted me 8 times, patted me down as I went in the room, and wouldn't even allow a hairtie on my wrist during the exam. Pretty strict, but I'm glad that they are very serious about cheating on this. At this same time I took phlebotomy, and had volunteers come the last two days so that I could practice poking them. Tuesday, the 23rd Jenn, Kathy, Karissa, Cory, and Jason all volunteered. They must love me a lot to trust me to do that on them!! Then on Thursday the 25th Nathan and Tom came and volunteered. I only needed two successful arm and hand venipunctures to pass, and I got from them :) Kristie came for support. So now I'm a state certified phlebotomist and an LPN!

Kendra preforming a venipuncture on Nathan, he even watched, and he was actually very afraid of needles. It was all I could do to get him to come, but he did in the end :)

Tom and Nathan showing off where they were poked, and Tom holding his vial of blood

Friday we went to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate my new license!

Thanks to all of my brave volunteers, I felt so loved that you would all come to help and support me in getting these licenses :)

6 comments:

Kate said...

Nice work on getting your licenses! That's great! And it shut off after 85 questions, you smarty you! Congrats!!

Kristi said...

Wow. I think Nathan loves you more than Steve loves me. I don't think there's a chance he would let me practice poking him with a needle. :) He'll let me teach him about first grade stuff though, so that's pretty much the same thing, right?

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What an accomplishment to be proud of. That's so great that you were able to finish before you have your baby. How fun that Jenn gets to stay with you for a little while. You still look cute as ever pregnant. That's a cool picture of you guys and Tom and Kristie at the Cheesecake Factory. I LOVE that place.

Michelle said...

congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Romy said...

Congratulations on your license.

Angela said...

Way to go Kendra! What a great accomplishment!