Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Salt Lake City Opera

So on Wednesday, May 14th, I got tickets from my high school friend Josh Wickard who is working for the Salt Lake Opera for Mozart's Don Giovanni. It was also the week that Nathan was in Ohio for work, but fortunately working with Kristie I found someone else to come with me. We had a great time, and Tom came up to do a session in the temple while we were at the opera. However, once up in SLC we found out how long the opera was...three hours and fifteen minutes!! Plus a session was really long, so we probably wouldn't have gotten home until around midnight. Thus, we opted to leave at intermission, and Tom curled up with a good book, but that was okay, as it was still fun company. On the way up we stopped for something to eat and witnessed a double fender-bender. Glad it wasn't us was all I can say. In the foyer a nice elderly woman suggested that we get these cushions to sit on, which turned out to be very helpful as a woman five rows in front of us had the biggest Utah hair I have ever seen, and I still couldn't see the very front of the stage because of her hair. The opera was also sung in Italian, and so there were subtitles on a screen that we could see as they sung. The plot was a little interesting, about a womanizing nobleman, he has been with over 1800 women, and he killed someone in a duel. Now as he is trying to womanize others, one of his "victims" who loved him keeps following him around and telling everyone what he really is intending on doing, womanizing as many women as possible. That was as far as it had gotten before we left. I guess in the end he is carried down to hell by the seven carnal sins. Obviously a bit intense, but all the same I've never been to an opera before, and I think that I'd like to go again. Here is Kristie and I before the show started:

Then here we are again out in front of the Capital Theater. There were all sorts of people there, many older ladies all decked out with pearls and such while there husbands were falling asleep before it even started! I loved how some people were even wearing tuxes!

1 comments:

Joey and Michelle Chandler Family said...

Kendra~ Just wanted to tell you you look way cute with your new short hair! That's awesome what you did with your lovely locks! Good job and cute haircut!